‘Log Cabin’ Archive
The giant log cabin blanket I started last May is finally finished!
After a long hiatus during the summer where I used the unfinished blanket as a lap blankie when the AC got a bit chilly, I finally stepped up and got the entire blanket finished!
It's big, I haven't measured it, but it's big enough B and I can sit under it together. I love it, it's comfy and cozy.
This was just the project I needed after the disastrous mitten experience over Christmas.
I know it's made from cheapie acrylic and many of you will cringe, but I totally need my blankets to be easy care. I just want to throw them in the washer and dryer and not have to worry about it. Plus I have a cat who thinks that all blankets belong to him…
…so I can't make my blankets out of anything that's too precious. Sir Edward likes to "knead" the blankets into a little nest, which inevitably means lots of little snags from sharp kitty claws.
Thus the blanet was made from TLC Essentials 100% acrylic yarn. It took about 1 1/2 skeins of each color. I bought so many of them, I'm not entirely sure how much exactly. I have lots of leftovers that I'm going to use for another multicolored blanket. If I saw them on sale I just grabbed a new skein in the color(s) I was using. With no dye lots, it makes it a lot easier to just grab a new skein if you run out. I also opted out of using an i-cord border on this one. I just used the cream color from the center and "log cabined" a border of 2 garter stitch rows on each side, binding off in purl on the right side. I wasn't sure I'd like the light border, but now that it's done, I like how it makes the rest of the colors pop. You can get all the details on my new Knits 2008 page. Hopefully I'll have more successful knitting projects in 08. I was looking back over 07 and for all the time I spent knitting, the list of finished knits seems a little spartan. If nothing else, maybe I'll have lots of knits for wee people, so it will at least look like my time knitting has been well spent!
I've totally neglected my blog for far too long. It wasn't entirely my fault, it was down for awhile and it took some crafty work by Hubby to get it up and running again. It's still not perfect. For some reason when I upload a photo, it says there is no thumbnail available so I have to import a larger size into the post, but you can't click on it to make it bigger. I am still recovering from PTSD due to some really disastrous Christmas knitting and so I have had to back away from the needles for a while. I haven't completely stopped knitting, I've actually gone back to this blanket
(this you can enlarge, it was imported before the blog demons attacked)
which I started last May. I will finally finish it and then I can move on to another log cabin style baby blanket that I hope to finish before our little guy gets here.
So why didn't my Christmas knitting turn out? I blame it all on pregnancy brain! Every time I tried something it totally bombed. The only thing to survive was this meager little mitten/headband set:
My mother-in-law was the lucky recipient of the only handknitted item to be gifted this year. The mittens are from Elizabeth Zimmermann's book Knitting Around, but I created my own cuff pattern. For the headband, I just used a basic Norwegian star pattern and plugged in the right numbers to make it fit. Kind of a fly-by-the-seat project which, consequently, is why no one else got anything, because as I tried to wing my way through more headbands, they all came out waaaaay too big. I tried making fingerless mittens for the guys in my family and they also turned out too large. I don't know what happened to my sense of gauge from the first mittens I knitted…
and the next several, but something happened and it all turned to crap. Maybe it's all the relaxin hormones that come with pregnancy and make your joints loosen up that is screwing with my gauge.
Thus I am temporarily at least turning to projects where gauge is not an issue…like the unfinished giant log cabin blanket. Maybe I'll have better luck with that!
ETA: The giant log cabin blanket is done and in the washing machine as we speak! I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow. I'm sure they will be dark and gloomy pics as it is about 10 degrees here and snowing (so no way am I going to try to take pics outside) but I'll see what I can do!
Warning: Gratuitous pictures of log cabin knitting follows! Post heavily laden with pictures!
This is the log cabin baby blanket from previous posts, now with a blue icord border. I’m going to try backing it with some matching flannel.
And my newest log cabin (click for bigger as usual)
Isn’t it loverly? I wasn’t sure how I felt at first about it. I had invisioned the color pallette being a bit more sophisticated, but now having looked at the pictures of it, I love it again.
It will be a regular sized afghan for our couch.
These little squares are going to be another patchwork blanket. Hopefully bed spread size. I know, sounds crazy, but at 10″ square, they add up pretty fast. I thought I’d start the center of the blanket with 4 squares with dark colors then build around that with squares with lighter colors, all bordered in cream.
Once again, all blankets are acrylic. I know that sends shivers down some spines, but I have not time for hand washing blankets. I want to be able to just through them in the washer and go. And I don’t mind acrylic–as long as I don’t have to wear it!